Doctors have used Botox® for many years to treat facial creases and wrinkles successfully. However, today, Botox is increasingly being used in dental practices because of its therapeutic uses in treating certain oral problems.
What is Botox?
Botox is a botulinum toxin drug that comes from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The therapeutic, active neurotoxin is harvested, separated and lab purified, making it effective and safe for treatment.
Dental Botox can help treat conditions, such as:
- Extracapsular myogenic temporomandibular disorder
- Parafunctional clenching
- Trismus and linked headaches
It’s an ideal treatment to provide patients with symptom relief when conventional treatments haven’t worked. Dental Botox is one oral treatment offered by Dr. John Harmeyer at Bellbrook Family Dentistry.
How Does Botox Work?
Within several hours of Dr. Harmeyer injecting Botox into your muscle, it attaches to your nerves’ endings that control the muscle. Over the next few days, it works by blocking the nerve signal transmission that causes muscle contractions. It only impacts the nerves connected to motor neurons and doesn’t affect the nerves attached to sensory neurons. These are the receptors you require to feel:
Botox continues blocking the nerve signals for several months. As it wears off, your symptoms will come back and if desired, you can have another dose administered.
Before the Botox Treatment
The Botox treatment process is easy. When you first arrive at Dr. Harmeyer’s office, this is what you can expect:
- Dr. Harmeyer will consult with you to determine if you’re an ideal candidate for Botox Cosmetic treatment.
- He’ll inquire about your goals to determine where he will need to administer the Botox. For him to do this, he might evaluate your ability to move certain brow area muscles. The size, location and use of your muscles that create furrow between your eyebrows can be different from other individuals.
- Dr. Harmeyer will answer any questions you have about treatment expectations.
- Dr. Harmeyer will go over goals of treatment and tailor a treatment plan for your individual needs.
During the Botox Treatment
Botox administration involves:
- Dr. Harmeyer may or may not decide to numb the treatment area with an anesthetic cream or cold pack or use no anesthesia at all.
- You may experience brief and minimal discomfort.
- He’ll administer several small Botox injections right into the muscles causing your frown lines between your brows.
- The procedure will take around 10 minutes.
After Your Botox Treatment
Following your treatment:
- Dr. Harmeyer will provide you with aftercare instructions.
- No downtime is required; you’ll be able to carry out normal activities the same day.
- You may experience certain side effects from the injection like localized pain, inflammation, infection, swelling, tenderness, bruising, bleeding and/or redness.
Why Choose a Dentist to Perform the Treatment
Dentists can offer you a level of Botox treatment many providers can’t. This is due to their extensive training in the muscular and bone architecture of your face. They can help relieve your symptoms while retaining your natural looks. They’re advanced oral and maxillofacial area training in the chin and oral to forehead areas of your face make them highly qualified in Botox artistry. They can provide targeted, customized treatment for natural results. The precision they can provide will offer you the results you’re looking for.
Dr. Harmeyer can use Botox as part of a comprehensive plan of treatment within a dental scope of treatment and not just as a stand-alone treatment.
Benefits of Dental Botox Treatment
Botox’s cosmetic benefits are already well-established, however, with dental Botox, uses are beginning to gain some serious momentum. Dental Botox offers therapeutic relief for:
- Headaches from bite problems like Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
- Headache pain from muscle tension in the face, head and neck.
- Gummy smiles because of over-retracted upper lips.
- Persistent grinding and clenching of teeth.
- Puckered chins and lip lines.
Regardless of the service or procedure you’re looking for to help enhance your body, it’s important you receive the proper care from a professional. All too often, individuals seek the cheapest route they can find when looking for services. But, it’s true that you get what you pay for. If something is very cheap (particularly when involving your health), it’s probably not worth pursuing.
Contact Bellbrook Family Dentistry About Dental Botox
At Bellbrook Family Dentistry, we’re dedicated and committed to providing you with only the best quality dental care possible in a professional, comfortable and friendly environment. Our unique approach to dentistry focuses on helping you achieve great oral health and a beautiful smile with ease. Contact our office today for your Botox consultation.
Get in Touch
Text or Call to schedule an appointment:
4291 Sugarcreek Dr
Bellbrook, OH 45305
Monday – Thursday
8am – 4:30pm
Friday – Sunday