Has your dentist in Centerville, OH recommended you get braces? If so, you are probably trying to decide whether to get clear dental aligners or traditional braces. So let’s talk about the pros and cons of clear dental aligners and the pros and cons of traditional braces.
The Pros and Cons of Clear Dental Aligners Versus Traditional Braces
Here are the pros and cons of using dental aligners and traditional braces in Beavercreek, OH. This information will help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
The Pros and Cons of Clear Dental Aligners
- Nearly invisible appearance.
- More comfortable than traditional braces.
- It is easier to brush and floss.
- They can be removed while eating, so you don’t have to worry about which foods to avoid.
- Fewer visits to the orthodontist.
- They must be removed while eating to avoid damaging them.
- Some drinks will stain your aligners and hot drinks can damage them as well.
- Not recommended for complex corrections. Recommended for people who only need minor dental adjustments.
- Requires self-control because they must be worn at least 20-22 hours each day (even while sleeping). If you don’t have enough self-control to wear your clear dental aligners for the allotted amount of time each day, then these are probably not for you.
The Pros and Cons of Traditional Braces
- They work great for correcting complex dental issues because they are more powerful than clear dental aligners.
- Metal braces come with multiple options from which you can choose. For example, traditional braces can be placed on the front of your teeth on the back of your teeth (lingual braces), or you can opt for ceramic braces, which present a more discreet appearance.
- No self-control is needed because they can’t be removed.
- They don’t stain and you can drink any type of drink with traditional braces because they won’t stain and can’t be damaged by heat.
- More uncomfortable than clear aligners.
- Can’t eat sticky foods, hard foods, popcorn, etc., because the food will get stuck in or could damage the brackets and wires.
- Not as cosmetically appealing because they are not clear.
- Requires more orthodontist visits than aligners.
- After wearing traditional braces for an average of two years, many people experience tooth discoloration where the appliances were placed. However, a whitening treatment can easily fix this issue.
If you need a dentist in Centerville, OH, a dentist in Beavercreek, OH, or any of the surrounding areas, please Contact Bellbrook Family Dentistry today. We work to provide you with customized care and the highest standards possible. Our team is exceptional, and our office is warm and relaxing, making it a pleasant place to visit.